The essential requirements
for the registration of 'design' :-
(2) The design should relate to features of shape, configuration, pattern or ornamentation Applied or applicable to an article. Thus, designs of industrial plans, layouts and installations are not register able under the Act.
(3) The design should be applied or applicable to any article by any industrial process. Normally, designs of artistic nature like painting, sculptures and the like which are not produced in bulk by any industrial process are excluded from registration under the Act Design Registration Kerala.
(4) The features of the design in the finished article should appeal to and are judged solely by the eye. This implies that the design must appear and should be visible on the finished article, for which it is meant. Thus, any design in the inside arrangement of a box, money purse or almirah may not be considered for showing such articles in the open state, as those articles are generally put in the market in the closed state Design Registration Kerala.
(5) Any mode or principle of construction or operation or anything which is in substance a mere mechanical device, would not be register able design. For instance a key having its novelty only in the shape of its corrugation or bend at the portion intended to engage with levers inside the lock associated with, cannot be registered as a design under the Act. However, when any design suggests any mode or principle of construction or mechanical or other action of a mechanism, a suitable disclaimer in respect thereof is required to be inserted on its representation, provided there are other register able features in the design.
(6) The design should not include any Trade Mark or property mark or artistic works as Define under the Copyright Act, 1957 Design Registration Kerala.